Lazy Running

I have been running for 20 years. It is hard to believe that it has been that long, but it has. I have never been a fast runner. My best 5K (3.1 miles) time was something just over 22 minutes, which translates to about 7 minutes, 15 seconds per mile. That time was fast for me, but for my friend, who ran the race at a 6:23 pace, the time was quite slow. The actual record for a 5K run by a woman on the outdoor track is 14:11:15. Yikes. You can see why, in the running world, I might actually be considered a recreational jogger. I am of the opinion, though, that it doesn't matter what pace you are keeping, as long as you are moving.

When I was younger, my long runs were 10 miles or more, and I actually got out to run 6 days a week. Grad school work could wait, but running couldn't. I can't say the same about the kids. Gee, kids, I need to go run. Help yourself to working the stove and getting dinner. Can you imagine? Not yet, but maybe soon. So, these days, when I am teaching, I only get out to run 3 times a week, and my long run sits at probably about 6 or 6.5 miles. My pace? I don't really know. But lately, with so much rain, I have been getting on the treadmill; I have been forced to move my feet in the lovely and boring environment of our dark basement.

My time on the treadmill has been eye opening. I just realized today that I have become -- what I will call -- a lazy runner. That might seem like an oxymoron, but really, it isn't. I challenged myself to run faster today, and I did it. No problems. Yes, I glistened with more sweat, and my breath came a bit faster, but the overall work out was incredible. And, it wasn't that hard! I think I have been heading out for a run, sticking to the same routes I've run for years, and just not challenging myself. How much good am I doing, if I am not pushing myself a little? Mentally, I am doing a ton of good. Running is my therapy, and as long as I am out there, I get my batteries recharged. But the ticker needs to be maintained, and pushing myself just a little, might be the extra medicine this old body needs.

The quarter is up for me at the end of May, and I have all summer to try to sneak in another day of running and possibly extending those long runs to 75 or 90 minutes. The challenge is set. I'll see if I am up for it.

***
Melina moment of the day:

Me: When you take a nap, you will need to wear a little sweater to cover your arms.
Melina: Well, Cinderella doesn't wear anything over her dresses.
Me: When it is cold, she does.
Melina: Oh.

This child loves to dress up. Frequent clothing changes occur each day, and she had on a pink, sleeveless dress. That usually would be fine in May, but it is currently 45 degrees and rainy outside. In my opinion (and because I am the mom), it is a little chilly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status