Mother's Day 2011

I didn't get to shout out a Happy Mother's Day to all of you, but I hope those of you who are mothers had a great day, and I hope you remembered your own mom in some way.

This year was a Mother's Day to remember. In a good way, I guess.

Melina and I are always up early. But at 6:30 am, while she and I are on the couch reading, I hear activity overhead. Aaron? Perhaps. He usually strolls down way before 6:30 am, but perhaps he was tired, and therefore didn't start stirring until that time. The tread on the hardwood floor sounded pretty loud, though, and Shadow doesn't go upstairs. All of a sudden, Tim is in the living room. For Tim to be awake at that time, and downstairs, something must have happened, or is happening.

Now, I was aware that the kids all made gifts at school. And, a packet arrived from Grandma M the other day (perhaps with cards inside), so I figured that at some point, the children would be putting forth their homemade gifts. But at 6:30 am, on a Sunday? Indeed.

Zoe, Talia, and Aaron peeked around the corner of the kitchen, and then promptly presented me with a package wrapped in a blanket. Inside the package?

1. A gift from Aaron: complete with a coupon book and scented potpourri. He also had a little paper that said: Mommy smiles when...I help her pull the weeds (he had added that last part). In addition, there was a store card that was very cute (probably bought by Grandma M -- thanks!).

2. A gift from Zoe: A purple lunch bag that was decorated with flowers and hearts, and inside, a recipe for a perfect mom. She also made a large clip for the refrigerator from a paint stirrer and some clothespins. Shiny and cool. A store card was there, too.

3. A gift from Talia: A book of poems, all written by her, plus a homemade card, and a of course, the store card. The poems were great! Some were funny, some were silly, all were Talia, and they made me smile.

Melina had let me sleep until almost 6 am, so that was gift enough from her.

Overall, the day was a good one. Everyone behaved at the grocery store, bathtime wasn't a chore, and dinner was delicious (they made pasta and salad). I pitched in by making the bread. No one else has used the bread machine to make dough before, so I let Tim know I'd make it if they wanted to have bread. I had to do cleanup, but I prefer to do the dishes so that they get done the way I want them to. Micromanager? Maybe.

The funniest thing of the day? When I pulled out the dough from the oven, where it had been rising, Talia said, "Mom. It looks like your belly." She's right. Twins + 2 other kids = much extra skin. Ah well, they are worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status