La Leche

Disclaimer: this post will use anatomical terms, such as breast and nipple. If that offends you, please leave now.

Someone asked me recently if I still nursed Melina. The short answer is no. But there is a longer story to this, and I thought I'd share.

If you are reading this, you probably know that I had, at least in my head, some cut-offs established as to when I would be done nursing. My first cut-off was at 12 months, but at the time, stopping just wasn't feasible. I then said I would stop nursing at 18 months. That is plenty of time on the boob, you know? That is what I thought, but Melina wasn't on board. Two years went by, 2 and 1/2 years went by, and then I said to her: "Once you start school, you cannot have any more mommy milk." She said okay, but didn't really mean it. After school that first day, she asked for mommy milk. And I gave it to her. I know, I know. I gave in.

What are my reasons for the extended nursing? There are a whole host of them, I think. Melina certainly didn't need the mommy milk for nutrition, as she is a pretty good eater (although a little heavy on the macaroni and cheese). Therefore, that was not the reason. But Melina enjoyed the snuggle time with me, and to be honest, I enjoyed the snuggle time. Unless she was sick, we nursed only at nap time and bedtime. It was a comfort to her, and therefore, I allowed it. She is the last of four, and I think I was hanging onto the knowledge that she'd be the last baby I ever nursed. And, of course, she slept well after nursing. You all know how important good sleep for a child (and parent) can be. The funniest reason for extended nursing? During our time together, I would read my book. I actually read quite alot during that time, and now that we don't nurse, I don't read as much! I miss that reading time, I have to say.

However, the time did come to stop, just a few days after Melina started school. For whatever reason, a crack developed on my left nipple, which is the breast from which she took milk (she had stopped the double sided nursing ages ago). When she started to suckle, enormous pains shot through my breast, up the side of my body. I winced, I cringed, I actually almost cried. I let her nurse once this way (the pain subsided after while) but spoke with the OB, who suggested having her lay off for a while. I jumped on that one.

The next day, I explained to Melina (and showed her) that I had a crack on my breast, and that it was very painful to have her take any mommy milk from it. I told her that I could read a book and rest with her for a moment, but then she'd need to nap by herself. She said okay.

That same night, I reminded her of the crack. She said okay again, and has been fine ever since. A couple of times Melina has stated that when the crack is done healing, that she'd like to have more mommy milk. As much as I hate to lie to the child, I just nod my head and say okay. What she doesn't know at this point, can't really hurt her.

I often ask myself if I would do it again and I don't really know. I am of the mind to do what is right for yourself, the baby, and the rest of the family, and during those years, extended nursing worked for us. A different child, a different time, and who knows?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status