Just Desserts

Tim and I went out the other night for dinner. I know, I can't believe it happened, either. No kids, just us. We'd been meaning to do so for almost a year. I'd bought a certificate, a Double Deal or something, so we could spend $50, but we'd only paid $25 up front. Of course, the people had my money for almost a year, so they made some interest on it.

Anyway, Tim and I love the place we went to, but it is a bit pricier than the standard pizza that we eat with the kids, if we go out. The menu changes, although I don't know how often. It doesn't matter...Tim and I are open to trying new foods.

The dinner did not disappoint. The flavors were awesome, the presentation spectacular, and everything was cooked just right. And while we almost never order dessert, we thought we would in this case. We're never quite sure when we might get some more alone time.

The dessert menu looked good. They had flan, dulche de leche, some ice cream concoctions, cheesecakes, and a flour-less chocolate cake. Each dessert had some flair and bling to it, so the pictures were really quite nice. Tim and the server suggested the cheesecake, but I really only like my mom's cheesecake; every other cheesecake I have ever tasted (including the famous New York Style Cheesecakes) has never measured up to that of my mom. I ended up going with the chocolate cake, made with orange zest and served on a bed of freshly made strawberry syrup.

Unfortunately, our desserts was just desserts. In my humble opinion, the cake was nice and moist, but the chocolate flavor did not pull through properly. I ate about 1/4 of the cake and told Tim he could have the rest. It wasn't until later that I realized that I could have done something about it. I could have said to the server that the dessert was not what I anticipated, and could he take it back? However, I think that is just rude (unless something was incredibly wrong with it). Also, I think the cake was not up to my standards because I am a baking snob.

What? A baking snob? Those of you that know me well are probably nodding your heads along with me right now. I can't come up with new recipes, but I can follow a recipe and make it my own like there is no tomorrow. I rarely find a baked good that lives up to my standards, although some do come close. Several places I have lived make Killer brownies, but when you hold them to the brownie I make at home, which I might add is simply a variation of the one off of the Baker's chocolate box, they don't compare. Same thing with many of the cookies I make. Again, I don't make up the recipes. I just find the good ones and make them the best that they can be. Sure, there are better bakers out there, but I ain't half bad.

Thankfully, the kids and I had made a homemade batch of brownies with white chips in them for their dessert that night. After getting into my pajamas, I grabbed a small brownie, bit into the decadent chocolate, and sighed. It was a good night after all.

***
Let me just say, too, that clearly I wrote just desserts because I wanted to talk about desserts and I thought it might be a nifty play on words. If you wanted to say that someone had it coming, you would use the proper just deserts. You can find online plenty of places that explain where the phrase comes from and how to use it properly as well as how many people spell it improperly. Just thought I'd try to educate you, in case you didn't know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status