Move Over, Will Ya?

On the way to the vet today (the outcome of that visit is for another post), Melina and I heard a siren. We were stopped at a light, so I looked around, and didn't see anything. Melina chimed in that she didn't see anything either. Her input was actually helpful, since we were in the minivan. I put my window down, but couldn't pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I carefully went through the intersection when the light turned green, and kept my eyes and ears open.

Not more than 15 seconds later, I could see an ambulance quite a bit in the distance behind me, with both its lights on and its siren blaring. It was going at quite a clip, too. Since I was already in the right lane, it didn't take much for me to pull over and wait for it to pass. Unfortunately, I was the only one to do so.

Everyone else on the road, many of whom were probably on the phone, didn't move over until the absolute last minute. The ambulance had to honk its horn, basically telling everyone to get out of the way, and then had to apply its brakes when the idiot in front of the ambulance still didn't move over. I sat on the side of the road with my mouth wide open.

When did we become a society like this? This isn't the first time people haven't moved over for an ambulance, but it irks me every single time I see it. Can you imagine needing an ambulance, waiting for it, wondering when it will get there, and knowing that because of the selfish nincompoops on the road that day, the ambulance might not get there in time? Sorry, sir, the driver would say. I'd have been here to help you out and save your life, but I was behind a car that just wouldn't move over.

Maybe we should outfit ambulances with cowcatchers. Then, the ambulance can go right up to the offending car and push them out of the way. Or, give the drivers huge taser-like appliances with which they could stun the cars and at least make them stop in their tracks. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to at least give the drivers the right to call-in the license plate of the car that doesn't move, such that a nice fine arrives in the mail the following week. I don't have the answer, obviously, but perhaps if I complain loud enough, and long enough, and to enough people, things might change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status