Never A Dull Moment

In my world, we call the school; the school doesn't call us. So anytime I see the phone number of the school pop up on our caller ID, I brace myself. Questions start to swirl in my mind: Who is sick this time? What happened on the playground? Who had to go to the principal's office? You see? I try not to be negative, but again, we call the school. The school doesn't call us!

So yesterday, when the school called, I thought perhaps Talia had fallen victim to mono. The secretary identified herself first, and was quick to follow that with, "The kids are all okay." Um, thank you. Glad to know that from the get go.

She proceeded to tell me that Aaron was essentially attacked by a kid on the playground. The kid did not like what Aaron was doing (he was pretending to be a zombie, with his arms stretched out) and so the other child scratched his face. She told me that the child drew blood, and that the scratch was a pretty good one. She had cleaned him up and sent him on his way, but she wanted to tell me what happened. Again, um thanks.

Well, Aaron walked in the door with a good size band-aid on his face. The scratch looked fine, but I was glad that the child had not gotten his nails near Aaron's eyes. No sooner had Aaron walked in, when the phone rang. It was the principal. He was checking to see that Aaron was okay, and he wanted to let me know that the incident had been taken care of. The parents of the other child were notified, and Aaron had absolutely done nothing wrong. I was glad to hear it.

The rest of the evening, our phone was quiet. Too quiet, in my opinion. If the situation had been reversed, not only would I have called the other child's parents and apologized for what my child did, but I would have hauled Aaron over to their house and had him apologize in person. As of right now, we've still heard nothing. But Tim did hear that the child has been suspended and that the school has suggested counseling. Apparently, this was not his first infraction.

I am curious as to what will happen when I see this child's parents at school. I don't know them well, but we do see one another at school functions and chat. I know that I would be mortified to encounter the mom of a child that my child had hurt. Perhaps these people will not feel the same.

All is well that ends well, in my opinion. But according to Aaron, it could have gone better. Last night he looked up at me and said, "Mom. If he had scratched me really hard right on my forehead, and it scarred, then I would look like Harry Potter!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status