Normal Development

While I realize that Zoe might be somewhat embarrased at some point that I have posted about her, I still plan on doing it.  I just wanted to get that out of the way.

Yesterday, the following conversation occurred at our house.

Talia:  Mom!  I think Zoe is growing breasts!
Me:  REALLY?  [I was skeptical.  Just last week I had seen her in the shower.  There was nothing going on.]
Talia:  Yep. 
Me:  I'll be right there.

I walked out of Melina's room and ran into Zoe.

Talia:  Sorry, Zoe.  But I told mom.
Zoe:  That is okay.
Me:  Honey, you might be embarrassed, but can I please check?
Zoe:  Sure.

Zoe lifted up her shirt, and a plethora of emotions overcame me.  My child, while slightly embarrassed, was perfectly willing to lift her shirt up for me.  I must be doing something right!  Then, I was slammed with the thought that my first born (by a minute), my little Zo Zo bean, was growing breasts.  I couldn't believe it.  Sure enough (and I won't go into details because I think that really would be too much), Zoe has started developing breasts.  My little baby is a baby no longer.

Development of the human body is amazing, if you ask me.  That should not be surprising, considering the field of study I went in to.  But remember, I had taken a peek last week.  Last week, and there was nothing on that little chest!  Even more amazing, is that we have our own little science experiment here at home.  I asked Talia to lift her shirt, and she has nothing.  She looked like Zoe did last week.  So, being the nerdy scientist that I am, I went and wrote down the momentous occasion on the calendar.  I will be curious to see when Talia's body begins to follow the same road.

And so, here we are.  Sitting at a point in our lives where changes will be making their way known, fast and furious to me, slow and laborious for the girls.  A point that is both exciting and heartbreaking, and most all bittersweet.  

***
On another note, Aaron woke up the other morning and went into the bathroom.  He opened up the toilet and pulled down his pants and said, "Mom, why is my penis doing that?"  And there his penis was, standing at half mast.  Inside I was laughing.  I told him it was normal and we went on our way.


Comments

Kelsey said…
Okay - I find the thing with the girls completely fascinating! How crazy is that? Is it wrong to tell you that it made me wonder whether their cycles will arrive together???

The Aaron snippet is too funny. I'm not going to think much about how we aren't too far behind you in these matters.

Loved that you pointed out how slow the growing process seems to them vs. how rapid it feels to us.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status