Flourishing

I realized the other day that I am defined by the people around me. 

I am Tim's wife.
I am Aaron's mom.
I am the mom of identical twins.
I am Melina's favorite person. 

A woman can get lost in that world, always doing things for other people, making sure the environment is calm and serene for everyone, attempting to keep sanity, but in the process making life revolve around the family members instead of herself.  But when the kids are grown and the house is empty, save for the animals and husband (who really, just might be an animal himself, you know?), what can a woman say for herself?  Where is that definition of self?  Where is the purpose? 

To paraphrase a friend of mine, we don't want to exist and simply stay sane, we need to flourish.

So simple and yet absolutely well said.  Perhaps the word flourish should be written and stamped on a t-shirt and sold in women's stores.  I think most of the women I know would look at that shirt, stop in their tracks, and reflect on whether or not they are flourishing.  It could be the new Life is good campaign.

And if you aren't flourishing? Don't feel bad.  Find a way to make it happen, and find it quickly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status