How Not to Repair an Oven: 2

I blocked out the hours of 1-5 p.m. on Wednesday so the repair man could come check out the oven. Again. I only hoped that it was not the same repair man. When the van pulled up to the house and an unfamiliar face opened the driver's side door, I pumped my fist in the air.
Him: So you're having trouble with your oven again?
Me: Yes. I used it, and the temperature reached 400 degrees, stayed there for about 10 minutes, and then, the oven beeped with the F10 error.
Him: Oh. F10. That's a control panel error.
Me: Really? A control panel error? F10 means control panel error.
Him: Yes.
Me: So the other guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about, did he?
Him: [Laughs.] I can't say that...
Me: No, you can't, but I can.
In the end, the repair man stayed for two minutes. He checked my receipt and verified that I had purchased a protective agreement (and thank goodness I had, for apparently the control panel repair will be costly). He didn't have those parts on his truck, though. The parts need to be sent to us, and then he'll come back and fix the control panel of the oven.

I opened the front door so he could leave.
Me: Will you be back next week to fix this for us?
Him: Well, it could be the other guy.
Me: Uh...
Him: [Laughing] He does know how to install parts.
Good to know sir, Good to know. I'm still hoping to see this second man back here next week. And I'm going to ask him to look at the wires the other guy messed with. I don't want to have to call and have them come out and check my oven again because some wires are loose at the back.

Moral of the story? Never be afraid to admit when you don't know something. The first guy could have called his colleague to verify the problem, which means my oven would be working by now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status