How Not to Repair an Oven

A few weeks ago, the oven I purchased in September, 2013, beeped at me. ERR F10 flashed on the screen as the wail continued. The noise bothered me, so I ran down the basement steps and switched off the circuit breaker. Then, I performed a Google search.

ERR F10 corresponds to runaway oven temperature, or in other words, the sensor in my oven needed help. Because I'm busy, I didn't call the repair place right away. I waited for the event to happen again--which it did. Twice within one week? I knew I had to call. The repair man arrived at my house last week.

Here's how the conversation went down:
Him: What error did it show?
Me: F10, I believe.
Him: Are you sure? I don't think there is an F10. It should be a number under ten.
Me: Hmmm. Let me check my computer. I might have saved the search I performed.
I went over to my computer and brought up the screen where I had found the information. Sure enough, in this Kenmore model, an error of F10 existed. I informed the repair man.
Him: Oh, I was looking at the Frigidaire codes. They make Kenmore, you know.
Me: [Even so, it's a Kenmore. You should be looking at the Kenmore codes.] Oh, okay.
The repairman set my oven, pushed some buttons, opened the oven, and checked the elements. The temperature inside the oven rose, but the error didn't occur.
Him: Well, I can't get the oven to do it again, so it could be one of two things. The wires at the back, or there could be something wrong with the control panel. That control panel...
He launched into a treatise on how the control panel serves as the brain for the oven. I didn't tell him that I probably knew more about brains than he probably did. Instead, I listened to his spiel.
Him: So, it might be in the control panel, but I'll check the wires at the back. Sometimes they are loose or not connected right. And if we're not sure it is the control panel, I don't want to mess with it. That's an expensive fix.
He opened the panel at the back of the oven. Everything looked fine, but he proceeded to strip wires and reconnect those wires, just in case.
Him: So I don't know if that will fix it.
Me: You don't?
Him: No. It could happen again. So I'd suggest that you buy a purchase agreement. Because if it does happen again, the fix will be covered.
Me: Why can't you just fix it?
Him: Because I can't verify that the wires were the problem.
Me: ?!?!?
I bought the purchase agreement because it cost me less than another trip out would. And then, I baked something. I used the oven again on Friday, and then one more time on Sunday morning, when the F10 error blared once again, loud and clear. Only three days after the repairman had fixed it.

I just hope the person they send out to fix the oven this time knows what they're talking about. And if they can't fix it, I'm asking for a replacement. At no cost to me.

Comments

Timmy said…
So, he mansplained it to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status