Surprise, Surprise

Since Melina isn't five yet, surprising conversations still result when the two of us talk. Sometimes, she tells me about why we should write about Daphne from Scooby-Doo and how Daphne really wants a piece of chocolate. Where's the tension? The motivation? Or maybe Melina is just that smart and she's actually telling me that she wants a piece of chocolate. I like to think that is it, of course.

Yesterday, we had another surprising conversation:
Melina: Mommy, someone at my Sunday school once said they were jealous of my eyes.
Me: What? What did she say?
Melina: She said she was jealous of my eyes.
Me: Oh. Really?
Melina: Yes, she said it was because they were pretty.
Well all right then. I guess the girl wanted to tell Melina her eyes are pretty. They are, but the other little girls also have very pretty eyes.

But here's the thing. Her Sunday school is for four year olds. Some kids might be a little older, but still...four. Are we starting the use of this word already? At four? I had to explain to Melina what the word actually meant, after she asked me. It's not a bad word, but one that we don't routinely use around here.

The only thing I can say is that the girl must be bright. She used the word properly.

***
Is anyone else gobsmacked at the thought of it being March 1 today? I've known all week it was coming, but I just sat down and was hit over the head with it again. Amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status