Follow Through

I hesitate to take on the subject of today's post because I'm afraid you loyal readers might think I'm talking about you. And maybe I am, but not a single one of you is the inspiration for this post, just so you know. Seriously.

Not that the subject is bad, either. What I'm talking about is follow through. You know, the ability to make sure you see something to completion. Finding the time to do what you say you will. Showing up when you have an appointment or sending out the mail when you say you will. I could go on, but I won't, because each and every one of us has a list of items scrolling through our heads, right now, of the things we haven't followed through on.

Like the fact that I have thank yous sitting on the desk that the kids wrote for their fundraiser. Or that I said I'd go through Aaron's dresser and find out what clothes he doesn't need. Or that I was supposed to call about a possible swim lesson for Melina. If you want me to go on, just so you can feel better about yourselves, please let me know.

But that list, when I think about it, is trivial, and for that, I'm grateful. Because it means that I'm placing the big things -- like my kids' integral needs -- before the little things. I'm following through on everything that needs to be done for them, or for Tim, or for myself and my well-being, and placing the less important items onto the back-burner of life. Queries step to the forefront, as do doctors appointments and grocery shopping. Hugs and smooches and games of Sorry and shopping for Legos come front and center. Cleaning out the back of my closet? Not even close. I won't be following through on that one anytime soon.

And I'm okay with that. At least for now. When the time comes that cleaning out the back of my closet needs to morph from idea to reality, I'll place it at the top of the priority list. And hope that my ability to follow through is still intact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status