Three Steps to Scrumptious

I'm getting to be very predictable. How so, you ask? In terms of recipes. I've begun (if you haven't noticed) to post my very favorite ones. Lest you think it is simply because I love to share the wealth, I am here to correct you. It's not. I'm forgetful and dare I say, lazy? If I have the recipes here, then I have my own personal cookbook.

In honor of Ruthann's birthday, I'm making Raspberry-Lemon Shortbread Tart. This is a fantastic summer recipe that I found years ago in one of my MIL's Rachael Ray magazines, which can be found here. I've tried it with frozen or fresh berries -- both work wonderfully.

The best part? It's another easy dessert to whip up. Okay, here we go!

Raspberry-Lemon Shortbread Tart

1 pound raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 stick + 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Step 1: Wash and drain the raspberries in a colander over a bowl. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar (the second time, we only used about 3/8 cup), and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a bowl. Use your fingers to blend until coarse crumbs from and the butter is mixed throughout. Place the mixture into an ungreased springform pan (or 9 inch cake pan) and press down to form a crust. Bake the crust about 20 minutes, until lightly golden.

Step 2: Remove the crust from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. Placed the drained raspberries evenly over the crust (this is easier with fresh fruit).

Step 3: Beat the eggs with the rest of the sugar (3/4 cup, or cut down to 1/2 cup if desired) until thick and pale yellow. Whisk or beat in the lemon juice, zest, and remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Pour the mixture over the raspberries and bake until the custard is set, or about 30 minutes. After the shortbread tart has cooled, dust with powdered sugar.

This recipe has been a hit with many. I've never tried to use blueberries, but I imagine the result would be divine. We have tried chocolate in place of the raspberries, and to be honest, I liked the fruit tart better. Now chocolate + raspberries? That might be the right ticket!

Comments

Cindy said…
Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status