Repeat Actions

Scrub, scrub, scrub.
My fingers press against
the lemon-scented disinfecting wipe
in an attempt to take away the gunk
at the bottom of the bathroom sink.
I know that the wipe is better for taking away germs
and not the detritus of the fairies
who live inside my house.
But the wipe is handy and available--
like a one-night stand--
and so I press my fingers again,
with more force this time,
and push the quilted white paper around the plug at the bottom of the sink.
It picks up small bits and pieces of whatever lays there,
but never the entire smudge.
I stop my hand from moving and peer into the sink.
My nose is close to the faucet
and I hear the single plink of a leftover drop of water
as it falls.
I lean in closer, thinking (always thinking)--
I've performed this action now for several days.
The same one, over and over,
and over again.
The grime leaves for a moment, but with constant use,
it's back again,
as if nothing will change its mind.
But maybe it's not the fault of the wipe
or the pressure I put on the stain.
Maybe, I need a new plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status