The Talk: Part III

I had "The Talk" with Aaron yesterday. Just like with the girls, he knew some things about the care and keeping of his body, and a large number of the right anatomical parts. He'd even heard of the sperm and the egg, although his idea of sperm came from an episode of The Simpsons that Tim allowed him to watch, which meant that all sperm (in Aaron's mind) come with a face like Homer's. (Go, Tim. One of your greatest parenting moments. Glad that viewing The Simpsons didn't constitute our child's entire education on sex.)

Aaron had been asking quite a bit about how a baby was made, and considering he's in fourth grade, I thought it was high time I told him. To be quite truthful, I had planned on telling him over the summer, but each time he asked, Melina was around. And she just doesn't need to know those details yet.

Aaron took in the information well, if you can call a blush that erupted over his entire body as taking it well. His smile grew big the more information I told him--a smile of pure embarrassment. And then, just like the girls did three years ago, he looked at me and said: "You and Daddy did that?"

Yep, we did.

I didn't want to go into too much at this point, because right now, I didn't think he'd understand and appreciate STIs or condoms (although I mentioned that word). Based on the look on his face, my information had flabbergasted him just about as much as any information could, so I wrapped up the chat session and asked if he had questions. (I was prepared. We'd done this before.)

"Well...ummm..." Aaron started to say. "What happens to the stuff [sperm] if the penis isn't inside?" Aaron pointed to the picture of the vagina (yes, I had pictures out...several books worth).

"Oh, well, it still comes out," I replied.

"And where does it go?"

"It just comes out, Aaron. Kind of like this." And I motioned with my fingers the pathway a projectile might take. For some reason, that sent him into a fit of giggles.

"Okay, Mom. Okay."

And that was that. I'm sure once he's tossed the entire conversation over in his mind, he'll be coming back with more questions. Which of course, I will answer. Or maybe I'll send him to Tim.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status