Learning Something

Early last week, I attended a makeup class. Yes, yes, I did. I ATTENDED A MAKEUP CLASS. When we had to go around and introduce ourselves to the class, indicating our level of makeup talent, I said, "Hi. My name is Christina. I wore lipstick to my wedding 15 years ago. And that's where I stand." I may have said "Chris" instead of "Christina," but I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday much less remember the exact words from over a week ago. Anyway, I digress...

So I'm sure you're wondering why I even bothered with a makeup class. After almost 42 years, I simply wanted to know what to do and how to do it right. Plus, I take the girls to Beth to get their eyebrows waxed from time to time, and she's so nice, I wanted to support her and her business. (I am not kidding when I tell you she didn't ask me to write that.)

The question is, did I learn anything?

Yes, yes, I did. I learned that applying makeup really is an art and that you need a different brush for different techniques. I learned that I have very dry eyelids. (I knew my skin was dry, but eyelids? Come on!) I learned that bronzer is your best friend, as you can use it in many, many ways (on your eyelids, on your cheeks). I learned that I still prefer bold lips. And most importantly, I learned this:

BROWS ARE SISTERS, NOT TWINS.

I have Nikki to thank for passing that little gem onto me, and for holding my hand. She went with me to the class, although everything Beth taught, Nikki already knew.

I should mention that I liked how my eye makeup looked when I left. I had even applied most of it (with A LOT of help from Nikki and Beth). The girls liked the makeup, too. Tim, however, looked at me like my body had been switched with an alien and uttered, "I like you better without makeup, Chrispea.)

Will I use the techniques in the future? Probably not so much. The cost of makeup and brushes seems a little off the charts. But the point was to learn something, and clearly, I succeeded in that arena.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm with you on the whole make-up, and all the tools to apply it, is a bit up there. I do enjoy a bit of colored eye liner on a rare occasion... but that's all the effort I put in. Though the class sounds like it would have been fun; but I'm a huge nerd who hasn't been in a proper classroom for years and am suffering from withdrawal. Also, the make-up things has always fascinated me. I like to watch my sis "put on her face" because I feel like I'm watching an artist at work.
Christina said…
"Putting on a face" is an art. I'm convinced of that now.

And Ben, :P.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status