Dear Agent, Part IV

Dear Agent,

I'm beginning to think that I should quit writing books and simply focus on letters. I find the act of writing them very satisfying, and I always feel better after I'm done. Much like the last time I wrote to you, I will try to be short. But again, I have a request. (I'm fully aware that this letter is actually the fifth in this installment, and that last time, I chose a more descriptive title. Just consider it part of my creative license, if you will. Sorry if I have confused you.)

I'm okay with the fact that you cannot respond to every query letter. And yes, since you specifically state on your site something akin to, Due to the number of submissions we receive on a daily basis, we are no longer able to send out personalized responses to queries unless we are interested in your story. Therefore, no response means that we aren't interested, you've covered your rump quite nicely. Well done, I say. Well done.

Why then, am I writing?

Because even though you state the disclaimer above on your site, you also use Submittable, which is a fantastic method to allow me and anyone else to submit a query and first chapters to you. The problem is that Submittable is also a tease! Why? See the photo I've included below.


Yes, when I logon to that lovely site and check my submissions, in the column labeled, "Status," I still read, "In-Progress." So while I know in my head that your lack of response to me means that you don't have zero in my work, your inattention to detail can give people the wrong impression. I'm guessing there are a few people out there still holding onto the sliver of hope that an "In-Progress" status is giving them.

On the other hand, the other realists like me are left wondering if you even bothered to read the query in the first place.

Sincerely,

CMC



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status