Fading Fast

We've been through the ringer over here, or at least I have.

Recently, I read an article regarding twins and the relationship between them. I can remember neither the name nor the author of the article, but she is a twin herself. She described having a twin as "an instant party." I think of that description often. Especially at bedtime.

This past week, Zoe and Talia have not put their listening skills to good use.

Me: Please go to sleep right away. No talking.
Them: Okay.

Then I hear giggling, singing, and whispering and realize the "instant party" has begun. Last night, it lasted until 9:30 pm, and it would have gone on longer, if I hadn't morphed into Mean Mommy. I don't like doing that, but let me tell you, it worked.

We have tried separating them at bedtime, and that does work: they each fall asleep quicker on their own. I started out that way last night, but when tears ensued (partly due to weird shadows on the walls and partly due to missing daddy), I went ahead and put them back together. Let me say that they didn't ask to be put back together, so last night's party time was somewhat my own doing. Tonight, separation galore.

***
All around, listening has not been one of our strong suits this week. I need to remember that Aaron is just five. I have been trying to get down on his level and speak quietly and slowly. I fear that Aaron's poor listening and the girls' poor listening will rub off on Melina, who at this point, doesn't quite understand what listening is.

***
I am not sure if I expect too much, or what, but this whole week has me fading fast. I am, in a word, exhausted. Tim better prepare to take next Monday off. I'll probably head out the door the minute he walks in on Sunday, and I can't say for certain whether or not I'll be back before Tuesday!

Comments

TamiJ said…
Have a drink. Then you don't care if they don't listen!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status