Visitors

Usually, when visitors arrive, it takes some time for Melina to warm up to them. Last weekend, my parents came to celebrate Aaron's birthday. Melina is getting more familiar with them, and took to grandma and grandpa right away. Mom and Dad were thrilled. This weekend, Tim's parents arrived, and the same thing happened. Cool, I thought. We're getting somewhere.

But just because a child is comfortable with her grandparents (finally!) doesn't mean she'll be comfortable with other people. We tested the theory yesterday when our friend Juan and his girlfriend, Lisa, stopped by for a visit. They had been at a nearby large university, where Lisa had an interview, and they were kind enough to drive an extra 1.25 hours to visit us.

Five minutes before they arrived, we told Melina that Juan and Lisa would be coming to visit. She sat on the chair, and tried saying their names -- quite a few times. She asked when they were coming, over and over again. When Juan and Lisa arrived, I introduced them to Melina, and she scowled at them. Then, she hopped down from my lap, and asked to do a puzzle with Lisa. Well, I don't like to pawn my children off to other people, so I asked Lisa if she was okay to do a puzzle with her. Lisa agreed, and Melina never looked back.

She hung around Juan and Lisa the entire time they were here. If Melina left the room for something, she'd announce, "I'm back!" to them upon her return. When she needed to use the bathroom, the following occurred:

Me: Melina, do you need to use the potty?
Melina: Yes, with Lisa.

New best friends? I think so. We didn't require Lisa to head to the bathroom with Melina, but since Melina also was intrigued by Juan, we asked him to sit next to her at dinner. When Juan was in the kitchen, getting his meal, Melina would yell from her high chair, "Juan!" I think she just wanted to make sure he was there.

Eventually, before the end of the evening, Melina wheedled her way onto both of their laps. She had a great time just sitting there before heading up to bed. I was surprised she didn't ask for them to come up and tuck her in, really. I am sure they would have.

I forgot to get a picture of all of us while they were here. Hopefully, we see them again before another 7 years goes by (I'll make sure we do). But thanks, Juan and Lisa, if you are reading this. It was so good to see you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status