No-Brainer

Five-hundred dollars.

What would you do with $500? What could you do with $500? I'm not sure what I would do with the money. It's a nice sum, but it's not really all that much anymore. Of course, that number can buy a significant amount of groceries for us. Or pay part of Aaron's soccer fee, half of Shadow's surgery, and many, many scoops of ice cream.

It can also place Dad and Mom on the wait list for an independent living cottage here near us.

That's it--$500.

I know what you're thinking. Dad might not be ready to put down $500 because he's not quite ready to move. I know this to be true. Which is why I checked on the policy. If he puts the $500 down he is placed on the wait list (as I just said). And it usually takes two to four months for a cottage to open up. If he's still not ready when they tell him a cottage is open, he just has to say "I'm not ready." And then? AND THEN, he's NOT dropped to the bottom of the list. He stays put at the top of that wait list so that when the next cottage opens? They ask him if he wants it.

What does that mean? A small sum like $500 can hold onto a place for Mom and Dad so that if the shit hits the fan--and it will, my friends, it will--they have somewhere to go. And I'll tell you--$500 isn't so much that a retiree who worked his whole life to have money in the bank will miss it.

Best of all worlds, right? It's a no-brainer, if you ask me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status