Homework

If you know anything about me, you know that I believe homework to be important. You probably also know that I don't think our kids get enough homework. While I do not think simple busy work is necessary, I do believe that practicing what you are learning is integral to actually succeeding. I certainly wouldn't watch someone tell me how to run 26.2 miles, and then think I could do it without practice. And, I wouldn't even try to play a piano concerto by only going to piano lessons once a week. In my mind, practicing what you are learning is tantamount to mastering the subject.

The teachers have said that with all of the things they do during the day, they don't feel that homework is important. The principal, who is in his second year at the school and is working hard to keep a standard of excellence for the school, has up until now, supported the teachers. However, Mr. C is open to comments and suggestions. Plus, he and I so far have a good rapport. It isn't odd for me to pop my head in and ask him a question from time to time, when I am in the building. Last week, I did just that.

First and foremost, Mr. C. acknowledged my homework concerns. I was coming off a volunteer stint with some 4th graders who, even now, do not know their multiplication facts. Because they don't know them, they are having trouble with division, and the introduction to algebra that Mrs. M is giving them. I could tell they were frustrated, and it frustrated me! Truth be told, the parents clearly aren't doing anything at home; how hard is it for the teacher to send a worksheet home? A bit of practice, and those tables will be memorized! Mr. C could appreciate where I was coming from.

He then mentioned that there are 2 sides to the homework issue. He figured, and he was right, that I already knew about the debate, so we didn't go into the pros and cons of homework. He isn't going to sway me, at least not in terms of my kids. Perhaps some kids don't need the practice, but mine do. Mr. C mentioned that I could request homework from the teachers, and that they should abide by my request. He applauded my efforts to get the best education for my kids. The conversation was short but useful to me.

But the debate topic got me thinking. Who funded the research that says that homework isn't useful? And who supports that thinking the most? I can appreciate it if educators themselves don't like giving homeowork. I am an educator myself. The more homework I give, the more work I have to do at home. However, even at the college level, most of my students benefit from repeated exposure, which they are getting by doing the assignments. So, while I admit that I haven't done my own research into the topic, I guess I very well should, just so that I am more informed.

I think I just gave myself some homework!

Comments

cryptozoologist said…
here ya go chris!
http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org/Main-Menu/Instruction/What-research-says-about-the-value-of-homework-At-a-glance/What-reseach-says-about-the-value-of-homework-References.html

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status