Topsy-Turvy

When we bought our house, we had only 2 children and 2 cats. We also didn't own much, so we had quite a bit of space. Too much in fact. One of Tim's friends from work used to call our house austere, which was his somewhat nice way of calling it empty. Two more kids and a dog later, and the house is full. Somewhat too full, if you ask me.

So, Tim and I have been hauling things out of here: paper to be shredded, paper to be recycled, and anything that is useful that can be donated, all in an attempt to limit what we have. I certainly don't need all the books that we have, and I am certain that someone else can make good use of them. Same goes for Tim's trophies, apparently, and the oh-so-lovely ceramics that live in the basement, although I don't know from where they came.

In all the hubbub of tossing items, I started to get itchy. And I don't mean from the dust in the boxes. I mean that I needed to make some other changes in the household, so that it might actually run a bit smoother. So I moved things. I've always wanted a study and we had one, when we first moved here. Then Aaron came along. We also had a guest room, but that evaporated upon Melina's arrival. The guest room is a pipe dream, but I looked around and thought, we have enough space here to do something! I just needed to figure out what is was.

So, the dining room is no longer the dining room. I moved the thinking chair and ottoman in there, along with an old table and a bookshelf. Along with the chalkboard on the wall, it now makes for a great study area. The kids love it, and so far, so do I.

And where is the dining room, then? I moved that over to one half of the living room. We never needed a 25 X 13 living room. All that space did was collect more and more kid stuff. Now, half is for dining and Melina pretty much appropriated the other half. That is okay with me. When I am ready to put more adult furniture in there, I will likely just consider only half of the room when I am shopping. We'll see.

I wasn't sure Tim would like it, and I actually haven't asked him if he does. I am the one home most often, and if I am happy living this way, then he will likely be happy, too. If it doesn't work out, then we can always go back to the way it was.

Comments

T said…
Picture! Or are you free for a visit in 2 weeks?

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status