Little Reminders

Brrrrrr-ing!

I looked at the caller ID and picked up the phone.  The last name sounded familiar...maybe it was one of the kids' friends or a student of mine.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hi," the voice responded on the other end of the line. It was a little boy.

"Yes?"

"Is Aaron there?"

I really didn't feel like interrupting Aaron while he was eating dinner. It is tough enough keeping the red head tied to the chair without giving him a reason to get up from the table.

"He is busy right now, can I take a message?"

"Well, I was wondering if I can come over to play sometime."

There was no pause, but the mind is a wondrous thing. Before I even responded, a multitude of thoughts coursed through my brain, two of which I'll share. Number 1: parents need to make sure that a child who is calling announces who he or she is. Number 2: parents should NEVER allow their child to invite him/herself over to another kid's house. I've edited those, by the way. I think the original thoughts contained a few expletives.

"And can I ask who is calling?"

"Yes, this is Austin."

"Okay, well, Austin. Next week is very busy and the week after that is full of doctor appointments, but if you give Aaron your phone number on Monday, then maybe I can call sometime and talk it over with your mom and dad."

"All right."

"Thanks Austin. Good-bye."

"Bye."

 I'm glad that Austin called and did what he did. The girls have good phone etiquette, but I've been a neglectful parent; Aaron hasn't been taught the proper procedures yet for how to make a phone call. Little reminders from life are sometimes welcome ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status