Things We Take For Granted

A bar of soap. 

How often do you go through a bar of soap?

I asked that question 10 days ago, on January 15, when I replaced the bar of Dial in the master bath shower. Only two people shower in there regularly (get your mind out of the gutter...we take separate showers), but sometimes, I take two showers in a day. I'm not a freak. I normally shower at night, as it is easiest for my hair to dry. However, if I run in the morning, I'll need to clean up again. Hence, some two-shower days.

What's the verdict?  How long does a bar of soap last in our house? I checked last night and realized that by tonight, I'll need to place yet another sudsy cake in the dish.

10 days for a bar of soap? Even though we are careful to keep the soap out of the water unless we are using it, I'm not going to go on about how I think the soap should last longer. The point is that I have extra soap in the cabinet ready to be the replacement. For that matter, I have the luxury of taking two showers on some days and using that soap that I know will be waiting in the wings. (And the soap would of course last longer if we didn't bathe everyday.) These two things, of all things, are what I take for granted. It sort of blew my mind to think about it, as I never have.  

I didn't mention it to Melina, but she sort of had her own eye opening experience the other day.  She asked if everyone had a toilet to sit on.

"No," I said.

"No!?!" She opened her eyes wide, and I feared they might actually pop out of her head.

"No, not everyone has a toilet, or running water, or soap or any of these things that you have. Consider your self lucky."

"That's crazy, mom, just crazy," Melina replied.

I think so, too, and I told her so, and then I realized that we all needed to stop and say a prayer of thanks for what we all have. I'm not the most religious or spiritual person out there, and I don't care who you believe in or if you believe at all, but it can't hurt to at least say a quick thank you to the earth for the position that most of you reading this now are in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status