It's not summer (heck, we haven't even seen a bit of spring yet) and somehow, the bananas went bad. Not a problem, as we all love banana oatmeal bars. I don't know what it is about this recipe in particular, but I have to share it. I originally found it years ago on Food.com, so it isn't my own recipe, but I'll take credit for making a good bar when it comes out of my oven.
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups raw oats
3/4 cup nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips (optional)
Directions (after you preheat to 425 degrees)
1. Combine flour, salt, soda, and spices and set aside (I've also added about 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa to this mixture, and it is yummy.)
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and egg until fluffy.
3. Add bananas and vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. Gradually stir in flour mixture and oats until well combined.
5. If using any of the fruit or nuts, add them now.
6. Pour into a greased 9X13 baking pan.
7. Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden (this may take less than 25 minutes, depending on your oven).
The only thing I can say about these is that I have trouble not eating them, but I love bananas and oatmeal. I plan on trying them again after I've cut the sugar in half. I'll report back. In the meantime, enjoy!