Not Like Me II

Melina and I went out this morning for a day of shopping and lunch. Sounds like fun, right? I did enjoy myself, since I was with Melina. But a day of shopping is not my idea of fun. Melina, however, enjoyed herself immensely! She put much thought into which outfits she chose in the little girls department. When we got to the ladies' section, I literally looked at a sweater and a dress, thought about them for 3 seconds, and threw them in the cart.

If there was ever a child who is Not Like Me, it would be Melina. I've said it so many times on this blog, you are probably tired of hearing it. But if I didn't see her come out of me, I'd have thought she wasn't mine!

Yes, the child looks like me. She speaks like me: "Aaron, I told you 5 times to stop doing that!" She eats like me: she just put away an ice cream treat after having an enormous slice of pizza (before you go off on bad parenting, we usually don't have ice cream after lunch and without having had a fruit or a vegetable, but we were out to lunch after all!). But somehow, she just isn't like me. Melina is always hot whereas I am always cold. Her favorite color is pink, while my favorite color is green. The color we wear most often? Hers again would be pink; mine is black. Her favorite shoes are strappy sandals while mine are running shoes. Melina's favorite pastime is looking in the mirror (!) whereas mine is running. I am telling you, I am raising a little diva, and I don't know how or when or why! The complexity of genetics leads me to believe that Melina's genes are more like those of Aunt Tara's than of mine. But that is a whole new blog post, and one that I am not qualified to even discuss (though the field of genetics is quite interesting).

There are a few things I can seeing shining through this little lady that are characteristics I have, but cannot claim all to myself. Melina loves to read, she loves letters, and she loves music. Tim and I share those characteristics, though, so they might have easily been what he contributed (that, and her ample little tushy!). I am holding out hope for her, though, because as of the last couple of days, she has been exhibiting common sense! At the tender age of 3! Woo hoo! if that says around. We could use it in this house.

***
I should mention that this is the last day of November. I made it all the way through the month, and posted every day! In fact, there was even that bonus post I put up to amuse you. From here until next November, I will not have to post every day, and you, lucky reader, will not have to read every day! Aren't you happy? Even so, I'll do my best to keep posting glimpses of the zoo. Just be patient with me.

Comments

T said…
Noooo! What am I going to do when my patients are late? Yes, I must admit, Melina is mine. I transplanted her with a device constructed by Phineas and Ferb!
Kelsey said…
It really is remarkable how different Melina is from you! And at such a young age.

These posts have been really interesting... I think about it with my kids, too. Harper is like me in a lot of ways, but with a confidence that is kind of amazing. And Michael has some of my qualities too, but also has this innate sweetness that did not come from me!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status