Let's Play

I'm heading into another round of querying, and because I'm somewhat sadistic (I guess that's what I should say, or maybe I'm just completely messed up...who really knows?), I'm starting to get really wonky when I think of queries and agent response times.

I know, I know. I've lost you at this point. What I actually mean probably needs some explanation. So, here we go.

When a person queries an agent by email, several outcomes are possible.
1. You get a positive reply back.
2. You get a negative reply back.
3. You don't get any reply back (termed closed no response, or CNR).

I'm actually familiar with all three of those scenarios, but a positive response only counts when it leads to representation. Minor point, right? Anyway, my least favorite of the three outcomes is the third, and you probably already know this. I'm sure I've mentioned it before...that I think the agents should at least give some sort of definitive yes or no to the author.

Here's where everything is starting to go loopy, though. As I sit and send my queries, I think to myself, okay, how quickly can I get a rejection? Can I somehow receive the quickest rejection ever? Who, according to QueryTracker, has the quickest response times? Then, after I query the right agent (who of course, represents the genre I'm interested in), I sit in front of my computer, incessantly refreshing my inbox.

Crazy, right? It is, I know it is. And of course, just when I think I might get the speediest rejection in the Midwest, Ms. Agent with the Quick Turnaround time does the unthinkable: she doesn't even bother to reply. Yep, another CNR, baby.

And yet, I keep playing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status