Winter Closings

Who was that crazy lady running outside yesterday in sub-zero weather? Yep, I did it. I pulled on many layers and wrapped up head, grabbed my insulated gloves and went out for a run. It was cold. Really, really frigid. But it only took about six minutes for me to get warmer and I realized that it wasn't too cold to run.

Which means, in my mind, that it isn't too cold for school. Thankfully, the schools were on in our district (not even a delay), but a district about 30 minutes away? They were on their third calamity day of the week, and have already used up all the days for the year. They'll be making up days in May and June. Apparently the superintendent is worried about the safety of the kids, especially those who rely on buses. Well yes, that's always the case. Can the buses get through? And how long will the kids need to wait at the bus stop?

I am completely on board with that superintendent. The kids do need to be properly prepared, and when it's pretty cold, a delay might be in order. At least with a delay, the kids will eventually get to school. But here's my concern. Winter is winter. Maybe here in this almost southern state, our winters will be, from now on, getting colder. And this winter doesn't look like it is going to get any better. Perhaps we'll need to adjust to our colder winters and spend some time reevaluating when schools are closed and when they are not. Because if the superintendent cancels school today, why not tomorrow? And where do you draw the line?

I don't' know. That's why I am not superintendent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status